Shortness of breath can occur due to a variety of conditions. People who have shortness of breath say that it feels like they can’t take a deep breath in or get enough air. Others say they feel their chest is tight or they have to work harder than usual to breathe.
- Shortness of breath can start suddenly, over minutes to hours or happen over a longer period of time, within weeks to months.
What causes shortness of breath?
The most common causes are:
- Lung problems such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), infections or blood clots.
- Heart problems such as a heart attack or heart failure where the heart doesn’t pump as well as it should. A heart attack
- Anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction, usually also associated with itching, swelling and hives.
- Being overweight or out of shape
- Pregnancy- it is normal to feel slightly short of breath when pregnant.
You should make sure to see a medical provider if you are experiencing shortness of breath, especially if you have asthma, COPD or a heart condition.
Your medical provider may run a series of tests such as blood tests, a chest x-ray, and electrocardiogram (EKG) of your heart or pulmonary function testing.
It is important to address this symptoms so we can help you breath better and determine and treat the cause of the shortness of breath that you are experiencing.
Here, at The Allergy Group we can help you breathe better if you have upper airway or lower airway breathing issues. Breathe better, Feel better! Call 208-377-4000 to schedule an appointment.